The Favourite is a comedy-drama set during the reign of Queen Anne of Great Britain in the early 1700s. It was directed by Yorgos Lanthimos and produced by Ceci Dempsey, Ed Guiney, Lee Magiday, and Yorgos Lanthimos. The screenplay was written by Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara. The Favourite is being distributed by Fox Searchlight Pictures and is about the rivalry between two cousins trying to be the court favorites.
On August 30, 2018, The Favourite premiered at the 75th Venice International Film Festival. It was released in the United States on November 23, 2018. Olivia Colman plays Queen Anne of Great Britain. The two cousins are Abigail Hill, played by Emma Stone and Sarah Churchill, Duchess of Marlborough, played by Rachel Weisz. This movie also stars Nicholas Hoult and Joe Alwyn.
About The Favourite
The Favourite depicts the reign of Queen Anne of Great Britain. Queen Anne was the second daughter of King James II. King James II was Catholic at a time when England was staunchly Protestant. He kept his throne by promising Parliament to raise his daughters Protestant (he had no sons at the time). When he remarried and had a son in his later years, Parliament asked Anne’s brother-in-law, William of Orange, who was married to her older sister, Mary, to invade Britain from Holland. The invasion was successful and was known as “The Glorious Revolution.” After that, William and Mary reigned together. When King William and Queen Mary both died without having children, Queen Anne inherited the throne. She was the last monarch from the House of Stuart.
During Queen Anne’s reign, there was a rivalry between Abigail Hill and Sarah Churchill, which is the premise of The Favourite. While the basic plot of The Favourite is based on historical facts, there were many liberties taken. There are many episodes that are fictional or extremely speculative.
The Favourite has received excellent reviews. It has also received a long list of accolades including the American Film Institute Movie of the Year, 13 nominations resulting in 10 awards at the British Independent Film Awards, and 5 nominations at the upcoming Golden Globe awards.
Is The Favourite on Netflix?
The Favourite is not available on Netflix at the present time.
Indeed, it is not available for streaming anywhere right now. It is anticipated that the DVD and digital editions will be available for purchase on Amazon and iTunes around February of 2019.
Will The Favourite be coming to Netflix?
If you want to wait to see The Favourite at home, will you be able to do so on Netflix?
Sadly, it is unlikely that The Favourite will come to Netflix.
The Favourite is being distributed by Fox Searchlight Pictures. Fox Searchlight Pictures has recently been acquired by Disney. Not only will Disney be launching its own streaming service in 2019, but it also has acquired a 60% interest in Hulu.
Because of this, it is far more likely that The Favourite will go to Hulu rather than Netflix, but of course, it is still too early to tell at this point.
If you are interested in British royalty, there are several shows for you on Netflix that are streaming right now. Some of them are:
- The Tudors – 4 seasons that depict the reign of King Henry VII and his six wives
- The Crown – 2 seasons about the early years of the reign of the current monarch, Queen Elizabeth II
- The Royal House of Windsor – a documentary about the House of Windsor, which is the current British royal family
- Secrets of Henry VIII’s Palace: Hampton Court – a documentary about the palace of King Henry VII and the role it played in his reign and the fates of his six wives.
Shows about other European monarchs and leaders that also might be of interest are:
- The Girl King – about the Queen Kristina of Sweden
- Reign – 4 seasons about the life and rise to power of Mary, Queen of Scots
- Versailles – 2 seasons about life in the palace commissioned by King Louis XIV of France
- The Borgias – 3 seasons about the Borgia family, many of whom were popes and leaders of the Catholic Church
- Medici Masters of Florence – a Netflix original series about the Medici family in Europe. 1 season is available.
Also Read: Is Welcome to Marwen On Netflix?