The movie Mortal Engines is scheduled to be released to theatres in the United States on December 14, 2018, alongside Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. It was released in New Zealand on December 7. This film is directed by Christian Rivers. The protagonist is a female survivor of violence, Hester Shaw, who is played by Hera Hilmar, whose mission is to avenge the person who killed her mother. It also stars Hugo Weaving, Robert Sheehan, Jihae, Ronan Raftery, and Leila George. It was created by the team of Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, and Philippa Boyens, who also created The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
Like The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, Mortal Engines was filmed in New Zealand. Despite this, there is not much in common between this film and the adaptations of the Tolkien classics.
Mortal Engines is based on the book by the same name authored by Philip Reeve. The setting for this film is far into the future. In this future, civilization was destroyed in 60 minutes by war. In the aftermath, people built huge cities that moved on treads and preyed on each other.
This young adult negative dystopia has a steampunk atmosphere. There are classic themes of good and evil and villains that want to revive the weapons that destroyed civilization in the first place. There are many references to “old tech,” which includes the latest iPhones.
Early reviews of this movie have not been favorable. Although the special effects are amazing, critics were not as impressed by the narrative. Some of the major criticisms were that the special effects overpowered the story.
Will Mortal Engines Come to Netflix?
If you would prefer not to go to the theaters to see Mortal Engines, will you be able to see it on Netflix?
At the present time, there is no release date for this movie on Netflix. Despite this, it is possible that at some point, Mortal Engines will appear on this streaming service.
Mortal Engines is being distributed by Universal Pictures. In order to offer Mortal Engines for streaming, Netflix will need to buy the rights to do so. Unlike other distribution companies like Warner Bros and Disney, there do not seem to be any plans in the works for Universal Pictures to launch its own streaming company. So, this means that it will probably be possible for Netflix to acquire Mortal Engines. On the other hand, this is speculative. As of now, the only way to see this movie is in the theaters.
While you are waiting to see if Mortal Engines will come to Netflix, here are some other shows that you might want to try:
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring – if you want to see one of the other films by the same creators, this film is on Netflix in the U.S. Sadly, it does not appear that any of the other films in this series are there right now, nor is The Hobbit trilogy.
- Extinction – a Netflix film about a family man whose dreams of an alien invasion begin to come true.
- How It Ends – a Netflix film about what happens when a mysterious disaster turns the country into a war zone.
- Lost in Space – a new Netflix Original series with a similar theme as the 1960’s classic sci-fi series, complete with a brand new Robinson family.
- The 100 – set in the future one hundred years after the Earth was devastated by nuclear war, this movie is about those sent back to find out if it is again habitable.
Also Read: Will Avengers 4: Endgame Come To Netflix?