Following the discovery of Lily Peters’ body, police launched a homicide investigation into the death and detained one juvenile in connection to the suspected murder. “The suspect was not a stranger, the suspect was known to the victim,” Police Chief Matthew Kelm said. “We do not believe there is any danger to the community at this time.”

Presumably due to the suspect’s age, police haven’t released their name or their connection to Lily. Chief Kelm didn’t state whether authorities had filed charges against the suspect. 

“There’s still much work to be done,” he said. “Our thoughts continue to be with the family during this terrible time.”

A relative has asked people to keep Lily’s parents in their prayers

Lily Peters’ parents, Alexander Peters and Jennifer Eyerly, are understandably devastated by their daughter’s death. They are yet to speak publicly about Lily’s passing. 

A relative spoke on their behalf on Facebook, urging people to pray for the hurting family. The Facebook post read (as reported by Heavy):

“Please pray for my sister and her family. Lilly was found deceased this morning at 915am in the wooded area along the trail. Lilly was my niece and nephew’s little sister and everyone is devastated and heartbroken today. Please pray for Lilly’s parents Alexander Peters and Jennifer Eyerly and Lilly’s brother.”

Lily’s father called the police after she failed to return home

Lily’s family last saw her alive as she left her aunt’s house on the night she disappeared. Her father, Alexander Peters, called the police at 9 pm after Lily failed to return home. The initial press release by the police stated:

“Officers learned that Lily was last seen by family members in the evening. She was supposed to be heading home to the 50 block of E. Birch St. Officers and family checked the area and contacted family and friends but she was not located.”

The Chippewa Falls Police Department launched a search and found her bicycle in a wooded area near a walking trail close to her aunt’s house and adjacent to Leinenkugel’s Brewery Parking lot. 

Police searched door to door and using K9 teams throughout the night. A drone hovered around the area they found the bike. 

Authorities eventually found Lily’s body the following day and launched an investigation. The police chief thanked people for providing tips that aided in the quick resolution of the case. 

Locals have created two memorials dedicated to Lily and placed purple ribbons on every downtown light post. The school district has offered counselors and therapy dogs for struggling students. 

“I do feel sorry, my sympathy is to the family,” local resident Lance Nicolai told WCCO. “The little girl, I’ve seen her around. It’s a small time. It’s a good town, Chippewa Falls. When something senseless like this happens, we become strong and we’re going to grow as a community.”